All that glitters

The tender hands of a baby shrill up at the touch of something heavy and hard, an unknown feeling until now. She erupts into an instant cry, a reflexive defense. "Shhh don't worry, my name is Goldie, I am your best friend...maybe not yet, but I will be very soon" says the Gold ornament. The mother of the baby, who would normally rush up to cuddle her at the slightest quiver, is now oblivious to the sharp sound of her baby's wailing. She goes on pushing and shoving the gold bangles, next the chains, the anklets,the finger rings through the baby's delicate hands, feet and neck. A normal scene at any newborn's naming ceremony in Hyderabad. Thus begins a Hyderabadi girl's eternal affair with the precious metal. 

But this time.... "It hurts everywhere, can't bear this, why is mom doing this to me?" Goldie heard the little one lamenting in baby lingo. "Oh stop crying for attention, you'll get plenty of it in a while" says Goldie. Suddenly, there is a slush of human souls closing in on the baby with bedazzled eyes. 

"See, told you so, but don't get fooled thinking they are here for your innocent looks."

The baby gushes "Oh, they want to cuddle me, of course they are here for me". 

 "Haha, dream on, the glint in their smiles is for me. They are here to admire me in my different forms. Can they ever get enough of me!!" Goldie gloats. 

"I am the talisman that would rule your life. Beginning now, you would want me at every milestone of your life. Well, there would be enough occasions in your childhood and adolescence to slowly entice you into my world and by the time you are a grown up woman, I am sure to become your true first love." 

"How is that true? You have no heart,and are not a person, why would I fall for you?" asks the baby. 

Hearing the first tone of dissent, Goldie exerts "Yes, you will. Not so easy to escape. I'm present everywhere from a humble goldsmith at the corner of the street to an ultra luxurious mega mall. So, no matter what your societal stature is, your life would revolve around me. Well, I do make things convenient for you. There are jewellery stores where you can go in the morning and spend the whole day designing me the way you want. They'll not only give you food, but also feed your greed for more of me. Then there are others much more luxurious than a presidential suite of a five star hotel. You might emerge out of these stores feeling like a queen that you conquered me. They'll assure you yours is the unique design and make a thousand more of those once you walk out."

"But, why would I waste so much time on you? What about my family, friends, values,education, work?" questions the baby

"Poor you, you may be the smartest girl, be highly educated, have a fabulous job, have travelled around the world, have a great family and an awesome circle of friends. My dear, your self worth would still depend on me. It's all about how many sets and styles of me you have.  So, you'll find every excuse of an event to get more and more of me, even if you already have so many of my kind that you haven't touched in years." proclaims Goldie.

" I don't believe you, don't want myself to be measured against a piece of metal. Please get off me!" cries the baby.

"Ok, you stubborn creature, you are going to remain an odd one in your town. Well, I tried my best. Anyway, I hear there are many more of your species down south and up north lusting for me way more than you Hyderabadis" quips Goldie.




Comments

  1. haha Soni! Here's someone who dared... "Bride who refused to be Gold Plated"

    http://www.womensweb.in/2014/07/elizabeth-chandy-bride-from-kerala/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, bravo! Hope someone from Hyderabad dares to do that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment