Is this sickness?


The other day I was reading a beautiful story of hope and human bond on Facebook. Gone are the days when such tales were celebrated. Now they get buried underneath viles of hatred, retribution and trolling. It got me thinking who am I? The collective consciousness seems to beckon, asking to connect those little threads of conscience together. You will read a lot of 'I's in this post. Yes, that is me. Hope it is also you, anyone or everyone.

Yes, I am a citizen of India.
 
No, I didn't vote for Modi. I respect him for being our Prime Minister.
 
No, I will not be his bhakt. I will appreciate his good policies.

Yes, I will be equally critical of his bad actions.

No, I won't tolerate vicious trolling. 

No, I am not with Congress.

Yes, I hate "high command" durbar  politics.

No, I will not let you degrade any of our forefathers who fought for our independence. 

Yes, I believe in a growing economy.

No, I do not accept lowered standards of human rights and human values as a cost for it.

Yes, I believe progress should be inclusive. 

No, I don't believe in appeasement of any kind, religious or casteist. 

Yes, I deplore terrorism.

Yes, I'm disgusted with actions of incitement and intolerance from anyone.

Yes, I take citizenship of every Indian for granted, no matter what their beliefs are.

No, I don't believe minorities have to do anything above and beyond any other citizen to prove their allegiance to our country.

No, I will not hold this generation responsible for actions of medieval monarchs.

Yes, I believe as a modern nation, we should have a uniform civil code.

No, I will not use my majoritarianism brawn to scuttle our diversity.

No, I will not insult my beloved secular democracy by comparing with totatalitarian theocracies to draw analogies. (No beef here because no pork there!!)

Yes, I want to accept our history with all its glory as a guiding light for the future.
 
No, I won't let you misuse it to further today's conflicts. 

No, I won't let anyone dictate what goes on my plate.

Yes, I celebrate our diversity and hold onto the thread of humanity that binds us all. 

Yes, I maybe walking a tightrope, but I'm not sitting on a fence.

Yes, I wish to stand on a higher pedestal called Humanism. 

Yes, I'm secular and there is nothing sick about it...










Comments